Adapted from my mom’s recipe! It is delicious and easy. Can’t get any better than that.
Why grass fed beef? Research is showing that grass fed DOES outweigh grain fed in their nutrient profile. For example, in this article it revealed that feed lot beef has more palmitic and myristic acid that raises cholesterol and increases inflammation in the body. This was versus grass fed beef which has more cholesterol neutral stearic acid and contains omega 3 fats and vitamins A and D that raises glutathione and other antioxidants that are cancer fighting.
- 3 1/2 lbs. chuck roast (grass fed preferably)
- 2 T butter or coconut oil, unrefined
- 2/3 ketchup* OR 2/3 cup tomato sauce with 1 T apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, a little sprinkle of garlic powder, onion powder and allspice (for whole 30 and paleo approved)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp dill weed (fresh is best)
- A few cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard or regular mustard*
Note: If you don’t want the BBQ flavor omit the *starred and add balsamic vinegar or cooking wine
- Melt butter or coconut oil in Dutch oven. Brown beef on both sides.
- Combine other seasonings and pour over beef.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours at 350F.
- Remove cover and continue to bake 1 hour longer or until tender. You may baste frequently if desired. Sauce will thicken.
- Spoon sauce over beef.
- Serve with roasted veggies, a big salad and/or roasted sweet potatoes! Num!