I may have finally found the perfect low carb bread recipe! Crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside. A balance of the 3 macronutrients – just enough fat that I can still put my peanut butter on it! Thanks to “All Day I Dream About Food”. Check out her awesome blog!
I buy egg whites in bulk because it’s easier. Also, I find my psyllium husk powder at my local natural foods store! Trader Joe’s also sells a bulk container of psyllium husk that you can grind yourself. I have also found a low carb pizza crust recipe that uses this powder and the crust turns out crunchy and raises well.
Low Carb Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 5 T psyllium husk powder (grind if it is psyllium husk seeds)
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (from 8-10 large eggs)
- 3 T melted butter or coconut oil
- 2 T apple cider vinegar, raw
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. If making a loaf, grease the loaf pan with butter or coconut oil. If making rolls, grease a cookie sheet with butter or coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut flour, almond flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add the egg whites, melted oil and apple cider vinegar and mix until well combined.
- While this is mixing, heat 3/4 cup water over the stove or in the microwave. Add the water, 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough expands to 1.5-2 times its original size. Be careful not to add the water too quickly or you will get a sloppy mess. You may not need all the water.
- If making a loaf: Add the dough to the loaf pan and form into a bread shape. Place in the oven and cook for 60-75 minutes. It is done when the crust is hard on the outside and a knife or toothpick comes out clean.
- If making rolls: Form the dough into 10-12 rolls on the cookie sheet. Place in the oven and cook for 50-70 minutes, depending on the size of your rolls.
- Cinnamon/Cinnamon Raisin Bread: Sprinkle a stevia, butter/coconut oil and cinnamon mixture on top of the rolls or loaf before baking. You can also add raisins for a cinnamon raisin bread.
- Pizza dough: Spread across a greased baking pan for a pizza crust. Add Italian seasoning to the dough.
- Cinnamon Rolls: Spread the dough out onto a baking pan and cut into 12 equal pieces. Sprinkle the top layer of the dough with a cinnamon and stevia mixture. Roll the dough into cinnamon rolls. Bake as directed above. Before done baking, make a cream cheese frosting. Add 2 T. cream cheese and 2 T. heavy cream to a bowl and mix well. Add 1 tsp. of stevia and 1/2 tsp. of vanilla. Mix well and pour over rolls when done.
These are the nutrition facts calculated through My Fitness Pal: