This is my favorite breakfast when I want something warm and savory:) Taken from the 2014 Reversing Diabetes World Summit recipe book and originally from hollisticallyengineered.com
Servings: 4 (1/2 cup each)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp golden flax meal (Trader Joe’s has a really great whole seed brand that you can grind yourself! It has a great nutty taste!)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 Tbsp + 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
For one serving of prepared “Oatmeal”
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut milk (full fat, canned), heavy cream or almond butter
- Sweetener to taste (Stevia or honey)
- Combine the chia seed, golden flax, unsweetened coconut and cinnamon in a container or mason jar.
- Scoop out 1/2 cup of “oatmeal” in a serving bowl and keep the rest stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Pour 1/2 cup of boiling/hot water over the “oatmeal” mixture, stir and let sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Add sweetener (to taste) and 2 Tbsp of heavy cream, coconut milk or almond butter and stir.
- Top with fresh berries or toasted coconut if desired.
I really enjoy it with just the almond butter. It still develops a great consistency due to the hot water!
Net Carb Count*: Instant Cinnamon “Oatmeal” (excluding almond butter or cream added): 2.76 net carbs (per prepared serving–yields 4 servings).
*Note carb counts are estimated based on the products I used. Check nutrition labels for accurate carb counts and gluten information.